Any follower of Jesus, any gathered body of believers, must be characterized by a sincere, tangible love and passion for God himself. It’s what we call having a Passion for God. He must be the center of our passions; the reason for our being. Knowing him better, loving him more deeply, treasuring him above all else, in other words, glorifying him, is the hallmark of a faithful church. From Psalm 68:1-8, we can draw out these thoughts to give us a picture of what it means to have a Passion for God…
- A person with a passion for God has the “magnetic north” of their soul set on God.
- A person with a passion for God has a sense of seeking that is dead serious, even desperate for God.
- A person with a passion for God actively pursues God – reflecting and meditating on him as they dive into his Word; crying out to him in prayer.
- A person with a passion for God will see inward transformation that will find outward expression – deep inward satisfaction that finds rest and contentment in God expressing itself outward in joyful praise and worship!
“If God gives you himself to enjoy…that joy will not come to consummation until you express it in praise.” (John Piper)
Resources to help you grow in your passion for God…
- The Dangerous Duty of Delight: Daring to Make God Your Greatest Desire (John Piper)
- The Pursuit of God (A.W. Tozer)