Every follower of Jesus, every church, must have something that gives focus and direction to their existence. At Mercy Hill Church we will have a Passion for Truth. This passion for truth finds its bedrock in the Word of God. It will be for us the supreme and final authority in doctrine and practice.
Why is our passion for truth, a passion for God’s Word?
- God’s Word is powerful (Psalm 33:6)
- God’s Word reveals Jesus Christ, the glorious One, our Redeemer, and the Savior of all mankind.
- God’s Word is inspired; God-breathed – the very thoughts and words of God (2 Peter 1:20-21)
- God’s Word is authoritative. When God speaks, we ought to listen!
- God’s Word is true. (John 17:17)
- God’s Word is sufficient. (2 Timothy 3:15-17)
- God’s Word is eternal. (1 Peter 1:22-25)
What will our lives look like if we are passionate for truth?
“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.” Psalm 1:1-3)
From this text we see three basic things that will be increasingly true for the man, the woman, the student, the child who has a passion for truth in God’s Word…
- They will be blessed. God’s favor will rest on them. They will be truly happy.
- They will love the Word. Their delight, their joy will be deepened in the Word.
- They will be a strong and deeply rooted person in all circumstances of life –receiving sustenance, producing fruit – all from the rivers of God’s Word.
Is this you? Step back and ask yourself, “Am I a person really passionate for truth? Do I see the characteristics listed above in my life – even if in seed form?”