When our Community Groups get together, one of the things they do is to talk through the sermon from that weekend, with a goal of application and life transformation. Earlier today, from the Gospel of Mark series, Jesus the Servant King, we looked at Mark 2:13-17, Who Needs Jesus?. Below are the discussion questions Community Group leaders will use. We’d encourage you to use these to: 1) prepare for Community Group; or 2) discuss with your family or friends if you’re unable to make it to Community Group.
- If you grew up in a church, what man-made rules were in place that made you different than the people around you? Was this good or bad?
- Read the passage together…
- What is the key question asked by the Pharisees in the passage?
- What does Jesus’ response, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners” teach us about Jesus?
- When you hear, “Don’t be too righteous for Jesus”, how does it make you feel? Where might you be guilty of this?
- Who is there in your life that might be in Mark’s category, “tax collectors and sinners”? How are you doing at engaging with them?
- Ask God that he would give you the heart of Jesus to love, befriend, pursue, and be Jesus for the non-Christians in your life.