When our Community Groups get together, one of the things they do is to talk through the sermon from that weekend, with a goal of application and life transformation. Tomorrow, we will be continuing the Gospel of Mark series, Jesus the Servant King. Our passage will be Mark 6:1-6 – a curious story of Jesus’ last interaction with the people in his home town of Nazareth. The title of the message will be “Astonishing Unbelief.”
To help you prepare for the time of worship in the word, we’re beginning to send these questions out before the worship service. Below are the discussion questions Community Group leaders will use. We’d encourage you to use these to: 1) prepare your heart for worship; 2) prepare for Community Group; and/or 3) discuss with your family or friends if you’re unable to make it to Community Group.
- The axiom states: “familiarity breeds contempt.” Explain and discuss.
- Read the passage together…General thoughts and/or observations?
- What two things cause amazement or astonishment in this passage?
- Why are the people “astonished” at Jesus? Why doesn’t their astonishment lead to faith?
- Why does Jesus “marvel” at their unbelief?
- Where in your own life, do you find that you have grown too familiar with the things of God? Where has familiarity bred contempt and/or forgetfulness on your part?
- How can you guard your heart against unbelief and ceasing to be amazed at the working of God in your life?
- Pray that God will fill your heart and mind with amazement that flows out in joyful faith!
- Pray that, as a church, we will never cease to be in awe and wonder!